The Faculty has existed since 1 September 1950, when it was given the name: Food Chemistry Department. The first Dean of the Faculty was Prof. Stanisław Zagrodzki. In 2003 the Faculty gained a new, expanded name: Biotechnology and Food Science.
The Faculty consist of:
- Institute of Molecular and Industry Biotechnology (established in 1970)
- Institute of Natural Products and Cosmetics (established in 1970)
- Institute of Fermentation technology and Microbiology (established in 1970)
- Institute of Food Technology and Analysis (established in 1970)
- Department of Environmental Biotechnology (established in 2019)
- Department of Sugar Industry and Food Safety Management (established in 2022).
At present, the Faculty educates students in the following fields of study:
- Food technology and Human Nutrition
- Food and Nutrition Manager
- Cosmetic Technology
- Sustainable Bioeconomy
- Industrial Biotechnology – studies in English conducted in cooperation with the International Faculty of Engineering (IFE).
Positive, unconditional accreditation ratings confirm the high level of education at the Faculty.